TRUST THE LAND
We really enjoyed this year’s annual meeting of The Lowcountry Land Trust, held at Founder’s Hall in the perfectly preserved Charlestown Landing. TheTrust has a strong desire to preserve and pass on our traditions to future generations and the event’s attendance was a clear indication of that passion!
I was particularly excited to see the new video series the Trust is showcasing – a really fine way to help people understand the WHY behind what the Trust and other conservation efforts do what they do. The 1st of the series, called “Stories of Trust”, is about Jimmy Hagood (https://youtu.be/Xn2ayxAl_KI) is a fascinating and touching glimpse of what he is doing not only to conserve land, but also aspects of culture and old-time practices (like growing and making cane sugar syrup) that might otherwise be lost.
As for the WHAT when it comes to the Trust and conservation, here are some interesting facts:
* The Lowcountry Open Land Trust is a local land conservation organization that is focused on protecting ecologically, agriculturally, and historically significant Lowcountry lands. It’s a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization; contributions from our members may be tax deductible.
* It currently protects over 107,000 acres of diverse lands spanning 14 counties!
* The majority of the lands protected by the Trust are under a conservation easement, however we own almost 3,700 acres of highland and marsh that:
* Protects important and threatened natural communities
* Provides habitat for endangered, rare and common species.
* Preserves water quality
* Protects agricultural and timber land, as well as historic sites
* Maintains the natural and rural character of the Lowcountry
FOCUS AREAS for The Lowcountry Land Trust are:
1. SOUTH LOWCOUNTRY Focus Area
2. ACE BASIN Focus Area
3. ASHLEY RIVER Focus Area
4. COOPER/WANDO INITIATIVE
5. SEA ISLANDS INITIATIVE
6. SANTEE COOPER LAKES
7. SANTEE BASIN
8. WINYAH BAY
9. OUTSIDE COASTAL FOCUS AREAS
This map is a wonderful way to see, in a glance, what amazing work the Trust is doing!
MAP What lands are protected
EASEMENT DOES IT!
The word “easement” usually comes to mind when dealing with land trusts and of course The Lowcountry Land Trust (although exceptional) is no exception. The organization works with landowners to design easements that preserve the natural landscape and protect wildlife habitat, water quality and historic resources, while promoting traditional uses such as agriculture, hunting and forestry. What could be a complicated process is made much easier with the help of such expertise available through the Trust’s staff.
LEARAN MORE ABOUT LAND TRUSTS